Families will normally be the first ones to notice changes in the teen’s behavior.
Signs of teenagers in crisis include the following:
- becoming increasingly rebellious
- withdrawing from family and friends
- seeking new friends who exhibit questionable behavior
- becoming violent
- taking on compulsive obsessions
- becoming sneaky
- starting to lie about whereabouts
- sudden drop in school performance
- extreme mood swings
- disappearance of items including money.
On noticing negative changes, parents and caregivers should take immediate steps to resolve the issue. Non-confrontational means of communicating with the teen should be implemented by parents and caregivers. If in doubt, seek professional help with the teen.