At Shelterwood, every student receives a top-tier education from our accredited school. Learning and growing academically is a critical part of the transformation, and Shelterwood is designed to meet the academic needs of your teen — and will exceed your expectations. We focus on core curriculum and accommodating individual needs, so every Shelterwood student receives an exceptional education. It’s time for your teen to thrive in the classroom.
In our therapeutic program, education doesn’t take a back seat. Our academic program is an element of distinction for Shelterwood. Your student will receive a solid, nurturing education – it is a critical component of students’ recovery. In contrast to other therapeutic and residential treatment agencies, our students don’t use exclusively correspondence or computer-based programs. Our students learn hands-on, from real teachers in real classrooms, to ensure their success.
ACCREDITED BY ADVANCED
Shelterwood is proud to be accredited by AdvancEd (formerly North Central). In the accreditation assessment, Shelterwood was described as exceptional in our demonstration of standards, exhibiting practices not commonly found in other schools. We’re committed to academic excellence for every Shelterwood student.
OUR CHALLENGING CURRICULUM
Shelterwood graduates leave as stronger students, prepared for their next step in education. We are pleased to offer coursework at a variety of academic levels, from remedial to advanced. Students are challenged academically in every course. Many Shelterwood students go on to receive degrees in college and beyond, and we offer preparation to reach those higher education goals — we also offer SAT and ACT prep. No matter what your student’s talents and interests, a Shelterwood education equips your teen to make a positive impact in the world.
COURSES INCLUDE but are not limited to:
- Mathematics: Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, Consumer Math
- English: English I, II, III and IV
- Social Sciences: Government, US History, World History, Geography, Economics
- Science: Earth Science, Biology, Integrated Science, Chemistry, Physics, Health, Environmental Science
- Past electives have included: Art, Drama, Ornithology, Herpetology, Missouri Conservation, Marine Biology, Creative Writing, Horticulture, Film as Literature, World War I and II, Criminal Law, Civil War, Careers, Communications, Physical Education, Bible, Cooking, Spanish, Novels, Oral Interpretation of Literature, Environmental Science and Environmental Issues
- We can individualize an educational plan to meet the needs of your teen